Book Review: The Bone Houses by Emily Lloyd-Jones

The Bone Houses by Emily Lloyd-Jones
Rating: 5/5


The Bone Houses is the debut novel from Emily Lloyd-Jones, and is officially on the IndiePublished Bestseller list!

We follow Aderyn or Ryn, as she prefers to be called, a 17-year old gravedigger, and Ellis, an orphan raised by the royal family, now a mapmaker.

Since her parents died, she and her siblings are working to keep their family's graveyard afloat, but the forest on the edge of their village has a different plan for the dead: it brings them back as Bone Houses. After Ellis recruits Ryn to guide him through the country, the Bone Houses attack the village and Ryn and Ellis are plunged into a journey to end the curse that plagues the land.

I wasn't completely sold on this book in the beginning. Maybe it was because it was very late when I started it, or that I had just finished another book right before. Either way, I almost DNF'd it right at the start, but decided to take the night and let my brain relax. Am I ever glad I did! This book was absolutely phenomenal. It was dark, full of action, myth and lore. There was the TINIEST bit of romance, and it was such a side aspect that it wasn't distracting in even the slightest.

My favorite character? The goat.

It's a stand-alone, which was very refreshing! It was so nice to have a great story in a neat little package.

Comments