Book Review: Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

Children of Blood and Bone
Tomi Adeyemi
5/5


Children of Blood and Bone is Tomi Adeyemi's debut novel and is the first book in the Legacy of Orisha Trilogy. 

Before we get into my thoughts, a real quick recap:

We follow Zelie, a 16yr old Maji (someone born with magic) as she tries to bring magic back to her kingdom. It's a multi-perspective fantasy epic (yes, epic) that follows Zelie, her brother Tzain, Amari and her brother Inan. It's West African inspired, and that's all you get! 

I don't want to spoil anything, and I feel like going in a little blind is the best way to do things.

So what did I think?

I genuinely cannot express how much I adored this book. It is fast paced, has beautiful world building and has magic. Because I've been off in my own little world where reading apparently doesn't exist for the past few years, this book just got onto my radar a couple of months ago. It worked out really nicely, because the sequel, Children of Virtue and Vengeance, is coming out on December 3, 2019. 

Children of Blood and Bone just draws you in and drops you into the world immediately. It transported me into Orisha just as much as Lord of The Rings took me to Middle Earth and Harry Potter took me to Hogwarts. My stomach kept dropping when in fear with the characters and my husband heard me yell at the book a few times out of either excitement or anger. 

I've heard a lot of people complain about how there is "insta-love" (characters who fall in love right off the bat) in this book, but they're teenagers! Were you completely rational when you were 16? Probably not. I'm not going to fault the book for this because Tomi is writing from a teenagers perspective, and teenagers are extremely emotional creatures. 

The other complaint I've heard is that the magic system is not explained enough. It's not supposed to be, since IT'S GONE. Magic has been taken from the world and Zelie is trying to bring it back, so of course we aren't going to see it in action or get tons of details because the characters aren't experiencing a ton of magic themselves. Again, not a fault. I think it's just going to build upon itself and give us more and more as the books go on.

Overall? Go and get this book! It's already been picked up as a movie, so the hype is incredibly real.


Comments